The Protection of Personal Information Act 34 of 2013 (“POPIA”) was signed into law in 2013 and largely commenced on the 01 July 2021.
Associated Insurance Brokers (Cape) 2006 (Pty) Ltd (“AIB Cape”), (“we”) or (“us”) only collects personal information for business purposes and treats all personal information of our clients, suppliers and other third parties as confidential.
We take our responsibility to protect your personal information very seriously and we commit to take all reasonable steps to ensure personal information always remains protected.
The aims of the POPIA include:
• To promote the protection of personal information processed by public and private bodies
• To introduce certain conditions so as to establish minimum requirements for the processing of personal information
• To provide for the establishment of an information regulator to exercise certain powers and to perform certain duties and functions in terms of POPIA and the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000
• To provide for the issuing of codes of conduct
• To provide for the rights of persons regarding unsolicited electronic communications and automated decision making
• To regulate the flow of personal information across the borders of the republic; and
• To provide formatters connected therewith
Ways in which personal information is collected include, but are not limited to:
• Clients/suppliers or prospective clients/suppliers submitting their details via any form, including online forms
• Sending or receiving emails
• Telephone conversations
• Suppliers providing quotations and invoices
• Reports from credit bureaus
• Agents or other third parties acting on behalf of suppliers or clients
The following are reasons why we would collect your personal information
• To identify you
• For us to process your instructions to you
• To manage your policy/ies
• Compliance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa
• Direct marketing to you via e-mail or telephone but you may unsubscribe or opt out by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
•Reporting to regulators
• Managing complaints
• Paying supplier invoices; and/or
• Obtaining quotations, products or services from supplier
What information we collect
We collect and process our clients’ personal information essentially to provide them with access to the services and products of the providers with whom we have contractual agreements in place and to administer the short-term portfolio under our control.
We collect and process our suppliers’ personal information to obtain quotations, products or services.
The type of information we collect will depend on the need for which it is collected and will be processed for that purpose. Where possible, we will inform our clients and suppliers what information they are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
With our client’s consent, we may also supplement the information that is provided to us with information we receive from other providers in order to offer our clients a more consistent and personalized experience with us.
Our clients who elect to take up offerings from our contracted providers, may also require additional information and they will be subject to the same privacy regulations as we are subject to.
How we use your information
The information will only be used for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed to with our clients or suppliers or purposes compatible therewith.
This may include:
• Providing products or services to and to carry out the transaction you requested
• For underwriting purposes
• Assessing and processing claims
• Conducting credit reference searches or verification
• Confirming and verifying your identity
• For purposes of claims history
• For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice
• Conducting market or customer satisfaction research
• For audit and record keeping purposes
• In connection with legal proceedings
• Providing our services to our clients, to carry out the services requested and to maintain and constantly improve our relationship with our clients
• Providing you with communications in respect of AIB Cape and regulatory matters that may affect our clients
• In connection with and to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or when it is otherwise allowed by law
• Providing you with newsletters and the like
• Assessing quotations from suppliers, ordering goods or services or paying invoices
Disclosure of your information
AIB Cape may disclose a client’s personal information to our providers whose services or products we may access to obtain quotations and/or cover on your behalf. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with our privacy terms and conditions.
We may also share our clients’ personal information with, and obtain information from third parties for the purposes listed above.
We may also share our clients’ personal information where they have expressly authorized AIB Cape to do so.
We may also disclose our clients’ or suppliers’ information where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of applicable legislation, the law or where it may be necessary to protect our rights.
Transborder transfer of your information
We may transfer your personal information transborder to recipients in countries which may not have data protection laws similar to POPIA for storage purposes and the like to the extent permitted by the law.
In the main, the countries we may use to transfer your personal information for storage purposes and the like and which may not have data protection laws similar to POPIA are:
1. The EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) regions which will include Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic/Slovakia, France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand the Nordics, Portugal, Russia, Spain and the UK/Ireland
2. The United States of America
Safeguarding your information
POPIA requires us to adequately protect the personal information we hold and to avoid unauthorised access and use of your personal information.
We continuously review our security controls and processes to ensure that personal information is secure.
If we need to transfer personal information elsewhere for processing or storage, we will comply with POPIA.
Your rights to access and correction of your personal information:
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you.
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information.
AIB Cape will take all reasonable steps to confirm identity before providing details of any personal information or making changes to any personal information.
You can contact AIB Cape on 0861242 123 or email: email@example.com and request the information you would like. Our address is : Bridgewater Suites, Conference Lane C404, Century City, South Africa
You also have the right to contact the Information Regulator should if you feel that we have not adequately dealt with concerns regarding our processing of your personal information at Contact Us | Information Regulator SA(inforegulator.org.za).
Laws authorising or requiring the collection of the personal information
We are required to collect personal information from our clients in terms of certain laws, including:
• The Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, 2002
• The Financial Intelligence Centre Act, 2001
• The Short-term Insurance Act 53, 1998
The provision of personal information to AIB Cape is voluntary, but, depending on the circumstances, we may not supply goods/services to you or enter into agreements with you if you do not provide the information to us.
When you do visit our website and, in the process, provide us with your personal information, you will be agreeing to the provisions set out above.
You also authorize AIB Cape to act on the information that you send electronically.
AIB Cape shall not be liable for any claims, costs, damages or expenses that may arise from any act or omission on the part of any visitor to this website or of any third party acting in reliance on any information in the website or in any links to or from the website, which are provided for information only.
You are strongly advised to verify the accuracy of any such information before relying on it. There will be no objection to your telephoning the AIB Cape office (details as shown above and on the site) to obtain further details.
All trademarks, product names and company names or logos used in this web site are our property or that of their respective owners. No permission is given in respect of the use of any such trademarks, product names, company names, logos or titles and such use may constitute an infringement of the holder’s rights.
AIB Cape nor any of its agents or representatives shall be liable for any damage, loss or liability arising from the use or inability to use this website or the services or content provided from and through this website.
This website is supplied on an “as is” basis and has not been compiled or supplied to meet the user’s individual requirements. It is the sole responsibility of the user to satisfy itself prior to entering into this agreement with AIB Cape that the service available from and through this website will meet the user’s individual requirements and be compatible with the user’s hardware and/or software.
Information, ideas and opinions expressed on this website should not be regarded as professional advice or the official opinion of AIB Cape and users are encouraged to consult AIB Cape for professional advice before taking any course of action related to information, ideas or opinions expressed on this website.
When this website collects private information from users, such information shall not be disclosed to any third party unless agreed upon between the user and AIB Cape.